[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]There are a lot of elements that go into the making of a good sales team, not the least of which is leadership. It is the leader after all who sets the pace, the expectations and the procedures for the team to follow.
As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “The speed of the leader determines the pace of the pack.”
Hire a great sales manager and you are on your way to success. Anything else and you will likely fumble.
In his blog, Characteristics of a Great Sales Manager, Tom Hopkins wrote, “The very first thing we find in a great manager is a total commitment to building a team that functions in unison to reach their goals.”
Building (and leading) that unified team is a lot more difficult than just hiring a few people and sending them out in search of new business.
- It is knowing how to recruit and find top performers.
- It is maintaining constant dialog about expectations and results.
- It having clarity around your corporate goals and values and communicating those goals to your entire team.
- It is creating an environment which fosters peer-to-peer communication and collaboration
- It is effectively enacting territory management plans
- It is creating a system – a solid sales infrastructure – that empowers the individual team members
In short, it about finding the right people and then setting expectations and allowing them to work within those expectations. The greater the structure the greater the flexibility.
Each of the bullet points above is a topic in and of itself. Over the course of the next several blog posts, we will address each point individually and more in depth.
If building and developing a sales team is not your strength however (and you don’t want it to be); if you don’t want to divert your current resources to explore new markets; if you want to focus your time and efforts on developing products, not selling them; if you need speed-to-market, consider outsourcing your sales effort with NuGrowth Solutions, an experienced ally with the experience and best-in-class systems to take your business to the next level.